Skip to main content

Travel Pro Tip #3 - Remember the Moments



Five years ago today, I was in Cambodia with a group from Methodist Theological School in Ohio. This group spent two weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia for a cross-cultural immersion

When I start any trip, as a way to reflect daily, I make room in 3 pages these prompts:
·     First Time
·     Person of the Day
·     Kodak Moments

This is a practice I started as a teenager thanks to the coaching of a mentor. I have found this way to reflect and remember on trips so meaningful that I encourage others to do some sort of daily reflection practice too. Hence the "Pro Tip" post. 

How often do you go on a trip and return home with many stories to share or find yourself unable to fully articulate your experience? This idea is one way to tangibly share your story with others. Kodak Moments are moments that will continue to stick with you post trip and moments that you want to share with others. You can paint the picture with your words or by using a picture, tell the full story.

I do believe we need to evolve Kodak Moments to “Insta Moments” thanks to social media. While pictures can be taken, I've found the most meaningful moments are ones that I don’t want to pull out my device for, but I'm able to capture it just by being fully present. Those are the moments I try to capture on my page at the end of each day. 

As an example, below are my Insta Moments from Cambodia and Vietnam. While there were more Insta Moments that wrote down, I choose one a day to share with others.

Insta Moment #1 in South Korea 



Unexpectedly, the trip started out with the group being split up on an “Amazing Race” sort of journey to see who would be the first to Vietnam. Luckily for the last group, MTSO didn’t eliminate and send them home. My team, who won by the way, had a detour and overnight stay in South Korea. While I was able to read “Deep and Wide” by Andy Stanley, I will never forget being serenated by a duo singing “Endless Love” MULITPLE times throughout the wait at the airport. It’s too bad the power that be couldn’t dim or turn off the lights to prove that “friends can listen to Endless Love in the dark!”

Insta Moment #2 in Vietnam 



Our first official stop on the immersion in Vietnam. We talked into the empty church were we could hear the soft melody of the organ and the birds (that probably live in the building). These sounds drowned out the sounds of the street and and construction as we wondered about the space. It wasn't until I sat down that I noticed the sounds of the street and construction. 

There was a peace here as the team worked to collect ourselves and find our center in the midst of long travel days.

Insta Moment #3 in Vietnam 



Our first dinner in Vietnam was at Seasons of Hanoi. The conversation that ensued between Ben and John is one I won't soon forget. John patiently tried to teach Ben how to use chopsticks and after the first bite of food, Ben proclaimed, "This tastes just like P.F. Chang's!" John just hung his head. 

This was also the first, but not the last, time that people asked if Dr. Park and John were father and son. Lots of opportunities for us all to learn.

Insta Moment #4 in Vietnam 




Witnessing any and all things carried on bikes and motorbikes. Texting while motorbiking (bottom right) might be even more dangerous in Vietnam. 

Insta Moment #5 in Vietnam 



We passed two young people playing a version of hackie sack and Mark joined in. This was the first interaction that we were able to connect with people we met on the street despite the language barrier. 

Insta Moment #6 in Vietnam 




After our first dinner in Hanoi, John kept to himself and I nick named him “The Elusive John Ma.” While at Friendship Village, John made a friend during our time there making John came out of his shell. 

Friendship Village focuses on reconciliation as they care for children and adults who suffer from the legacy of war. It acts as a living community and has 10 family houses, a health center, school, professional education classes, kitchen, organic fruit and vegetable gardens, and ponds for animals and fish.


Insta Moment #7 in Vietnam 



While waiting for our flight to Cambodia, Caleb was able to use his Japanese language skills to entertain others with what he calls “old man jokes.” 

Insta Moment #8 in Cambodia – NOT PICTURED


I was the first of the group to “go down” with getting sick. One of the destinations I was most looking forward to was visiting Angkor Wat. Knowing I was sick, I tried to rally and push through but was unsuccessful and missed one of the Wonders of the World. Ironically, that night the group went to a buffet that made multiple group members sick. 

Insta Moment #9 in Cambodia and Vietnam 



One of my goals after the first day in Vietnam was to get on one of the motorbikes. This was my way of bucking the "institutional cultural immersion" and go an unplanned, unpolished one - or backdoor tour that most tourists don't go on. My friend, Mark, told me it would never happen. Not only did it happen in Vietnam but it also happened in Cambodia! At the beginning of the ride, I panicked and regretted my decision. By the end, I felt like a pro and wasn’t even holding on. This experience also allowed me to visit one of our host's homes and families. 

Insta Moment #10 in Cambodia 


It isn’t often when you get to see the process of making products such as silk scarves, place settings, napkins, etc. We visited Artisan Angkor, a company committed to fair trade practices. In fact, the workers we met make more than school teachers in the area!

Insta Moment #11 in Cambodia 





While visiting a Cambodia United Methodist Church we learned that 60% of Cambodia’s population is under 30. So this church is primarily made up of children and young adults. While the children were singing, some of the young adults were cheering them on in the back.

Insta Moment #12 in Cambodia 




Not only did we visit one church, we visited multiple churches during our stay in Cambodia. One of the days was 16 hours visiting remote, rural churches. While waiting for lunch, the group was getting restless so I pulled out my “list” of 30 questions to engage the group as a way to take their focus off their waiting and hunger. After lunch, some random guy sat next to me on the bus and said, “Can we continue the questions?” That random guy ended up being a great friend after that day. 

Insta Moment #13 in Cambodia – 


 

One of the sites we visited was an after-school program for children. This ministry is supported by the United Methodist Church and one of the activities the children engaged with was dancing. They were all too willing to show off their skills and invite us to join in.

Insta Moment #14 in Cambodia 


The last night, the group shared reflections of our experiences over dinner. The dinner ended with recreating Da Vinci’s “Last Supper” painting to commemorate the two week experience together.

Insta Moment #15 in Cambodia 





The moment when I became Dr. Park’s favorite student and random guy, turned friend, Caleb, became Dr. Park’s second favorite student. He also told us we were responsible for his sabbatical. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t