Skip to main content

Enneagram - Seeing Ourselves - Seeing Others


"What is an 'Any-a-gram?'" I asked.
"It's called the 'ENNEAGRAM!" my friend retorted.

My first introduction to the Enneagram was in January 2017 at the UMC Lead Conference in Charlotte, North Carolina. I could barely say the word, let alone begin to spell it. People from the conference encouraged me to start my Enneagram journey on the drive home by listening an episode from The Liturgists' podcast. I imagine this advice came because it was safer listening to a podcast than reading a book while driving. It was two hours, but it was so engaging I barely noticed the time and after it ended, I was eager to learn more. It's episode 37 in case you want to check it out for yourself.

The Enneagram is perhaps best defined by Enneagram author and expert Suzanne Stabile as, "nine ways of seeing and nine ways of processing our experiences in the world. Additionally, there are nine ways of answering some of life's basic questions like, 'Who am I?' and 'Why do I do the things I do?'"

My top two StrengthsFinder strengths are "input" and "individualization" so I was hooked and had to know more about this ancient personality tool. If you think about it, most of us have no idea that others don't see as we see, nor do they process their experiences in the same way we do. This is something to keep in mind for ALL relationships! The Enneagram is a tool that helps us understand people's fears, motivations, desires, and relationships dynamics. It can be a key that unlocks sometimes mystifying behavior in others - and in ourselves, which can lead to more empathy and understanding. 

A few years ago, Hyde Park Community UMC hosted an Enneagram workshop and was very well received. There has been an influx of interest (some say "cult following") among young adults around this topic. As a way to build relationships and engage with young adults in the area, we are offering an Enneagram Weekend led by Leslie Hershberger to take place at Over-the-Rhine Community Church on February 22-23. Thanks to the Emerson and Jan Colaw Lecture/Leadership Endowment we are able to show radical hospitality and offer this as a free event.

This highly interactive event is designed for young adults with wide range of knowledge of the Enneagram. From people, like me, who couldn't even pronounce OR spell "Enneagram" to people who are CONFIDENT in knowing their type and have done extensive research. There will be take aways for all with the hope that people will leave with new insights in better understanding themselves and others that will lead to more empathy and healthy relationships. 

I believe the weekend will be transformative for people's relationship with God and others. I would love your help in getting the word out to young adults! People send them to hydeparkchurch.org/enneagram to learn more information. If you don't feel you fit in the category of young adult but would like to help support the weekend (and get more information about the Enneagram for yourself) please let me know - there's a place for you!

Want to learn more about the Enneagram but can't make make the weekend work? Here are my suggestions to learn more*:

Needing an introduction? I think this is a good order to follow that will help you begin to figure out what type you are and learn about other types.

1) Listen to the episode of The Liturgists podcast mentioned above.
2) Read The Essential Enneagram by David Daniels and Virginia Price (this has a narrative version of the test that I really liked better than the online "choose one" tests)
3) Read The Enneagram Made Easy by Elizabeth Wagele and Renee Baron
4) Read The Road Back to You by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile (they were the two guests on the podcast) 
6) Listen to the Typology Podcasts
7) Read The Path Between Us by Suzanne Stabile (focusing on relationships)

Want a spiritual component? These are good choices:
Want to take a deep dive? 
  • Subscribe to the get a daily EnneaThought through the Enneagram Institute. You will get insights/wisdom/a challenge for up to two types (maybe your type and when your type goes to either heart or stress or another loved one's number) to your inbox every morning.  I'm extra so I signed up with two email addresses so get 4 types to my inbox. 
  • Download the EnneaApp - this is a great tool in your pocket for general Enneagram things AND gets into subtypes, wings, heart/stress, etc.
  • The Complete Enneagram by Beatrice Chestnut. Did you know that EACH type has THREE subtypes making for 27 types total? I have found this book to be very helpful to me! 
*This is an illustration of my "input" strength by sharing these recommendations. These recommendations do not come from being paid in anyway by any of these resources. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t