Skip to main content

Travel ProTip #1: Local Cuisine


My name is Kate Smith...and I'm a foodie and I need your help. Not to stop - but I need your expertise of the West Chester area so be sure to check out the questions in the last paragraph. According to one of the most credible sources on the interwebs, Wikipedia, a foodie can be defined as someone who seeks new food experiences as a hobby rather than simply eating out of convenience or hunger. I think my identity as a foodie stems from a rule that we had on family vacations: eat locally. This meant skipping national chains and opting for "mom and pop" hole in the walls, greasy spoons, and establishments that were unique to that area.  This guideline for harmonious travel has translated into my everyday life, my mentality when I travel or visit new places, and even ministry.

Considering myself an adventurous type, I always like to explore what makes each place I live or visit unique. I actually get really excited finding stores, restaurants, and things to do that are distinctive to that area. It's taking the "back door" local approach rather than having the tourist mentality that has resulted in countless adventures and stories to share. 

This guideline for harmonious travel has translated into ministry because it is a rule that we have followed and have even nicknamed it "local cuisine". My favorite story of implementing this local cuisine rule in ministry was this past December with junior high students in Columbus. They didn't have the years of #localcuisine experience my high school students did so they begged to go McDonald's or Penn Station. I had to assure them that where we were going for dinner that night would be better than their wildest dreams and certainly superior to McDonald's or Penn Station. After learning about responsible gift giving and fair trade products at the Global Village in Delaware, Ohio we ate at Amato's Woodfired Pizza. After dinner one of the junior high boys came up to me afterward sheepishly and said that it was the best pizza he had ever had (a local cuisine convert!). The next morning, we walked to Buckeye Donuts, a regular haunt of OSU football coach Jim Tressel. We passed by McDonald's and again I was asked to go there for breakfast rather than this "lame surprise place". It only took two meals, but I finally won them over, they agreed that eating at the local hole in the wall, greasy spoon places while somewhere new was the way to go. 

So being new to the West Chester area, I'm interested in seeing what the people of Faith Community have to say about what makes their town unique and distinctive. Feel free to comment below or catch me at church to share! What are some of the favorite activities that you enjoy doing? What local shops and restaurants should I check out? Also, what guidelines for harmonious travel does your family have? I'll be happy to return the favor by telling you some of my favorite places in the Dayton area. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Troy's Cafe and Aladdin's!
Anonymous said…
Wildflower Cafe in Mason!
Kate said…
Betty,
You and your small group are on, I would love to go with you all.

Thanks for the Aladdin's and Troy's Cafe suggestions. Keep them coming, I've been in a Mellow Mushroom rut (still local or unique to the area right?).
Ann Winslow said…
I love to eat at Twin Dragon, a Chinese smorgasbord. It's located at Cox and Tylersville in the shopping area with Radio Shack and Waffle House, and the Goodwill trailer drop offs.
Anonymous said…
2nd Wildflower and Troy's.

For ethnic Pho 96 or Brij Mohan Indian.

For a beautiful day explore Mariemont and eat outside at the Dilly Deli

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t