Skip to main content

The Feeding of the Five 5,000 because of the Boy that Gave


            Jesus was a name I heard the adults talking and whispering about around town. People couldn’t stop talking about the healing and teaching that Jesus was doing around our community. So, I was excited when my mom told me we were going to follow and see Jesus for ourselves. Packing my things quickly for this adventure, we joined the multitudes to search for this man called Jesus. 

            Once we found him on this mountain, I took advantage of my size as I weaved in and out of the crowd towards the front so I could hear Jesus’ words for myself. He was teaching his close friends but what I overheard was amazing. I had never heard anything like it: “Blessed are the poor in spirit…those who mourn…the meek…those who hunger and thirst for righteousness…the merciful…the pure in heart…the peacemakers.” He promised the Kingdom of Heaven, comfort, being filled, receiving mercy, and seeing God because we are children of God. 

            How could this be? It seemed like my whole world was being turned upside down as Jesus proclaimed this Good News and I wanted to be part of this new world. But how? What could I do, I am just a child!

            I noticed the large crowd start to get restless under the hot sun, hungry for food and thirsting for more. Looking up towards Jesus and his friends, I saw them huddle together. Then his friends came towards the crowd, with me at the front. They were mumbling to each other, “How are we going to feed all these people?” “It seems impossible!” 
            
            Not noticing me, one man almost tripped over me. Now having his attention, I told him that I brought my lunch with me and even though it wasn’t much, I was willing to share. The man looked skeptical and unsure but took the loaves and fish to Jesus. 

            After another huddle session, we were instructed to sit down. Jesus prayed over the food and then his friends started going around to each person, sharing what I offered. We were amazed that there was MORE THAN ENOUGH. 

            It was at that moment that I realized that not only did I get to see God on that mountain, I was part of God’s story as Jesus was working in me and through me to feed the multitudes. I was never the same again.

Project 5000 at Hyde Park Community UMC

Today, we have the opportunity to follow the little boy’s example of sharing what we have so that there is more than enough for all. This year, the youth ministry has taken leadership of this project by preparing the bags and handing out the bags. Please join them by filling one or more bags yourself or donating money for the food ($25/bag) and we can continue the little boy’s legacy by feeding people in Cincinnati. There is also the opportunity to drop off the bags at MEAC (Madisonville Education and Assistance Center) and Rothenberg Preparatory Academy

Bags will be collected through Sunday, April 14. Bags can be found at all the entrances of the sanctuary or on the Project 5000 table in the Social Hall (1stfloor). The bags will include a shopping list of items that will feed a family of 4. Please return the filled bags to the Project 5000 table in the Social Hall (1stfloor, right off of the Welcome Center). If you would prefer to make a monetary donation, please make checks payable to HPCUMC with “Project 5000” written in the memo line.

This would be a great way for families (especially with children) to serve together by shopping together and delivering the bags of food. We have the opportunity to continue the legacy of the boy that gave by sharing what we have with our neighbors. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t