Skip to main content

Travel Pro Tip #2: Take the Back Door Tour


Have you ever reflected on idea that when you were younger the year seemed to draggggggg on but as we grow older the year seems to just fly by?

The saying is true, there is always “an app for that” and the TimeHop app illustrates just how quickly time can fly. Or…remind you what happened so long ago. The TimeHop app pulls images and posting from social media and your phone to let you know what you were doing a year ago on this date, two years ago, three years ago, and so on. Last year (in 2014), I spent the first two weeks of the new year in Vietnam and Cambodia with a group from Methodist Theological School in Ohio. It wasn’t a mission trip, but a mission of being, learning, and experiencing another culture and context.

Learning this practice in high school, I’ve been conditioned to find those one or two Kodak moments to share with others when I return. The term “Kodak moment” I’m realizing is starting to become obsolete as we aren’t taking pictures on Kodak cameras anymore or using their 35 mm film, but just go with me. Perhaps a better term now would be "Insta moment." What I’m really saying is with a Kodak/Insta moment it is an experience that needs to be preserved to memory and shared with others. It isn’t usually just a moment, but this story that starts to unfold…so you can’t get out your camera or smart phone to take a picture, because you're just so engaged and wrapped up in this experience. Instead of having a picture to show others, it will forever be in your memory and a story that you can tell until you are gray. Reflecting back on some of my favorite Kodak moments from traveling they happen because I’m willing to say “yes” or I’m not afraid to ask the question. I live by the rule “The answer is always “no” if you never dare to ask.”  And it’s worked out pretty well for me.

This morning, my TimeHop app reminded me of one of my all time favorite and memorable Kodak moments.

One of the things about Vietnam that stuck out to me right away was the crazy amount of scooters that filled the streets of Hanoi. They were everywhere, weaving in and out of traffic and if that wasn’t enough the amount of things and people that they would pile on these scooters was impressive; it was as if physics was being defied in Vietnam! On the first day, I remember telling one of the friends, Mark, on the trip that before we left Vietnam for Cambodia I would be on the back of one of the scooters. He thought I was crazy and didn’t think there was any way I could pull this off. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how I was going to make it happen, but I was just so curious and anytime someone tells me I can’t do something I immediately go into John Locke (from the TV show Lost) mode and think (sometime say) “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” What would it be like to dodge in and out of traffic in a big city like Hanoi, Vietnam? I just had to know.

So I finally got the nerve to ask our host for the week, Hai Ahn, a woman who is just a year older than me if she had a scooter. Well, what do you know, she did! I then went on to ask if she wouldn’t mind taking me around the block one night after we got back from our excursions for the day. If it wouldn’t be too much trouble of course…She lit up, she said she would be happy to do that, I could meet her family and she could show me what a real night out in Vietnam looked like. So a ride around the block turned into this incredible experience I would never forget.

The next night, the crew all piled off the bus and Hai Ahn and I stayed back to get dropped off at her scooter. I strap on this helmet (any time a helmet is required for an activity, I know it’s going to be a great time) and we are off. I had waited this whole trip for this moment and it turns out…I was terrified.

The first three minutes on the back of this bike left me with white knuckles and a feeling that I had made a terrible mistake as we weaved in and out of traffic, just a few inches from other scooters and cars. Being from Ohio, I had this real fear that we would hit a pot hole and I would be thrown off this bike into traffic. It took a little bit, but I finally was able to breathe normally, my heart stopped racing, and my death grip relaxed and I was able to truly take in my surroundings as Hai Ahn shared personal stories as she zipped in and out of the night traffic effortlessly. While I prefer the driver to look straight forward while driving, I was able to gain candid thoughts and insights that Hai Ahn had of her family, the United States, our group, and the Christian faith that she was learning about as she yelled over her shoulder.

The goal of our trip was to be culturally immersed in a different context than the United States. However, reflecting back on the trip, the true immersion experience happened when I got on that bike and was invited into the home of Hai Ahn’s family. Sure we can see all the sites, eat the local food, and have conversations with people in their office, but something really special happens when you are invited into someone’s life like I was on our last night in Vietnam.

The apartment was cozy and full of life. My hosts consisted of Hai Ahn, her daughter, husband, two brothers-in-laws, and her husband’s parents. They were all gracious and made a fuss over me as they scrambled to show hospitality in the way of making room on the couch, preparing tea, and offering a table full of fresh fruits. Her nineteen month old daughter continued to show me hospitality throughout my stay by handing me fruit when my hands were empty. We continued to talk about the topics we discussed on the motorbike but with a wider audience. It was interesting getting their perspective on a variety of topics. I really could have stayed there all night and I think the family was half expecting me to, but I didn’t want to over stay my welcome so I suggested we should head back to the hotel. Before I left though, Hai Ahn’s in law’s made sure to tell me that if I ever found myself in Hanoi, Vietnam again that I must stay with them. It was truly a humbling and eye opening experience.

As we were walking back to the motor bike from the apartment, I asked Hai Ahn how many guests like me had visited her house. She simply shrugged her shoulders and told me that I was a first. I told her she had given me a great gift to meet her family, open up her home to me, and share her history and stories. Hai Ahn simply smiled and said that since I was curious enough to want to experience life on a scooter, she didn’t just want to drive me around the block but to really experience her country and she was happy to have introduced her family to me. I continue to replay that last interaction as it serves as a daily reminder of the power of being curious, of not being afraid to ask the question “Can I?”, and the chain reaction of saying yes.

This picture is not of myself and Hai Ahn from Vietnam, but of our host in Siem Reap, Cambodia and I before we explored the city. When I found this picture on my phone this morning I was stunned by the mixed feeling of “that seemed so long ago” and “I remember that experience like it was yesterday.” I think that is what happens when you get the “back door tour” while traveling. You don’t get the pre-packaged generic tourist sites, shops, and people. You really become immersed in the culture, with the people, and it offers a deeper understanding a broader perspective.

So the next time you are traveling, I encourage you to be creative in finding ways to take the unbeaten path, interact with local people, and have a “back door tour” experience that will surely be a Kodak moment you can share with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t