Skip to main content

Maundy Thursday Thoughts



“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
-John 13:34

This was it; this was the last time that all the disciples would be together with Jesus before he was killed. After three years spent together in the trenches of ministry: serving, healing, teaching, feeding, etc. it led them all to this last evening together around a table celebrating the Passover Meal. The first disciples probably thought they learned everything they could from Jesus, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

“Maundy” is derived from the Latin word for command. On Maundy Thursday, the Thursday of Holy Week, Jesus did many new things:
1.     He began the Passover meal by washing the feet of each of his disciples, which symbolized a service of friendship and a mutual sharing of gifts. In the foot washing, Jesus challenges his disciples to do the same for each other, and to see that they are all equal in the Kingdom; nobody is above or below in anyway. 
2.     He also instituted the sacrament of cup and bread. Could you imagine the first disciples hearing the words, “This is my body…this is my blood”? The reality and weight of his words would become all too real in just 24 short hours.
3.     He told of a new gift – the Holy Spirit, who would be God’s presence after Jesus leaves. 
4.     Finally, he gave a new commandment, as stated above from John 13:34.

There is a kind of familial care in these last actions together – serving, feeding, teaching. A reminder of what the last three years were centered around and the call to continue the work.  Jesus knows that his time is short, and so he desires to leave his disciples the essence of his life and his word: love one another. Serve one another. Feed one another. In those actions you will discover the very life of God, dwelling there with you, waiting to be discovered and celebrated. 

This Last Supper was a foundational time of discipleship and sending out. Their next steps in ministry would involve first them and then you and me – ordinary people, showing God’s love in the world. Jesus used this night to equip his first disciples who had been in training for three years to continue their calls to proclaim and teach of God’s love to the rest of the world. They were unaware of what was about to take place in just a few hours, but as today’s disciples we know what is coming. They couldn’t fully understand what was happening, but it is important that we fully embrace what Jesus said and did on Maundy Thursday.  


Prayer: Jesus, thank you for your bold and radical witness in the world. Your life and work are still alive today when we commit ourselves to serve and love all people in your name. We ask for forgiveness when we fail to show others love because we miss being a reflection of you and your love. Thank you for being the ultimate example of love and service and may we pick up where you left off to share your love throughout our community and world. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t