Skip to main content

Ash Wednesday Thoughts


After the Hebrew people left their life of oppressive enslavement to the Egyptians, they found themselves wandering in the wilderness. One can't wander in the wilderness without learning and understanding more of what it means to follow God. When the Hebrew people were enslaved, they knew what to expect, and therefore, probably believed their own strength and sheer will saw them through. However, in the wilderness they were faced with the unexpected and the unknown on a daily basis. At times, they trusted and were faithful in their wandering which brought peace that transcended in the midst of an unknown future. In the Exodus store we read however, that there were more times of mumbles and grumbles (even talk about turning around and going back to what was known being in bondage and slavery) than stories of blind faith. It was words of complaint but underneath the words was a real panic and fear.

It’s really easy to read stories of our ancestors of faith and think we would have reacted differently. Reflect back though, how many times have we found ourselves in our modern-day wilderness – a place of unfamiliarity, non-comfort, inconvenience, and uncertainty. Was our first reaction praise to God for being in this liminal space? It isn’t likely. Thankfully, God can handle the questions, the frustration, and lament. 

Overtime, the Hebrew people had to learn to trust God – EACH DAY. God promised to be present and guide them along the journey through the wilderness. This promise means that the Hebrew people had to sometimes remain where they were, perhaps for longer than they would have liked but they were also required to remain flexible and be willing to move at any time as called. The same is true for us today. To live by faith, even in the wilderness, means a commitment to always look to God.

Many see and think about the wilderness as only negative. However, I have come to find beauty in the wilderness – a space and place of the unknown. The wilderness is an invitation to set out to uncover or rediscover a whole world that lies around us. We can also discover that the Divine uses the outer landscape we find ourselves in to shape and mold our inner landscape. It can be a time of transformation if we open ourselves up to it, but no matter what, even after we have moved on we will forever be marked by our time in the wilderness. 

As we enter this season of Lent, may we embrace the thresholds we cross, be emboldened to break down borders and barriers, and be where our feet are wandering in the wilderness. We can do this all bravely knowing that God encourages this openness and exploration because it is an invitation to be present with and depend on God. 


Comments

Unknown said…
Excellent piece. thank you for sharing your wisdom. kathi herington, elder, retired, WOC

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t