Skip to main content

Holy Saturday – Embracing the Wilderness Within Us and Around Us



Holy Week invites us into a story of betrayal, abandonment, mockery, violence, and ultimately death. So, it makes sense then that there a natural tendency to want to rush from the pain of Good Friday to the celebration of Easter Sunday. 
Instead, we are invited on this day to sit in the sacred space of instead of Holy Saturday. Not only is it a sacred space, it is a wild place because of the unknown as it lingers between the suffering and death of Jesus on Friday and the resurrection of Easter Sunday. Holy Saturday is a reminder of the human conditions and is an invitation to let go of things or people, identities or securities and then wonder what will rise up out of the ashes of our lives. Anytime we find ourselves in pain, grief, sorrow, or suffering there is the haunting question, “Will I ever experience joy again?” Our lives are full of Holy Saturday experiences.
So, before we rush to resurrection we must fully dwell in the space of in between. The liminal place of restlessness and unknowing - holding life and death in tension with each other, and experiencing and living into the wilderness allows us to fully embrace and appreciate the power of resurrection.
Not only will we experience the full joy on Easter Sunday by facing the darkness and unknown of Holy Saturday, we might have the opportunity one day to accompany others who find themselves in their own disoriented space of Holy Saturday. 
May the experience of wilderness within and around you transform you on this scared day of in-between. Our walk with Jesus demands something of us and calls us to stand in uncomfortable places where we are offered no easy answers. May you find courage as you live with the tension of life and death, committed to asking questions  in your Holy Saturdays– knowing that in embracing the wilderness, you will be Spirit-led to the other side to something new and beautiful that has risen out of the ashes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t