Skip to main content

A Millennial’s Guide to Columbus

Outlook at Rising Park in Lancaster
The allure of Columbus has been stirring in me since the first time I visited Easton as a senior in high school. It only grew stronger as I went through seminary at Methodist Theological School in Ohio. Thanks to my seminary education, I was able to explore the Southside of Columbus with the Church for All People, met up with many friends and classmates all around the city, and visited different places of worship thanks to an Interfaith exploration class. During this time, I always said “one day I’m going to live in Columbus.” Viola – that “one day” became a reality for two years.


While the last two years in ministry was one for the books, so was my time in Columbus. Work hard, play hard. The balance is needed and over the last year, I made it a priority. Whether you live in Columbus or find yourself visiting, here is a list of some of the BEST things this city has to offer:

  •  Apple picking at Lynd’s Fruit Farms in Pataskala. August through October they have a U-pick apple schedule. You could literally spend the day there shopping at the cutest farmer’s market, explore corn maze, and all kinds of fall fun is featured during the fall months. The “hand picked fresh” apples made for a great Triple Crisp Apple Crisp recipe!



  • There are 19 Metro Parks all around Columbus and the summer of 2016, I visited ALL of them and walked the trails. Favorites included Walnut Woods, Scioto Grove, Chestnut Ridge, and Highbanks. I never went to these parks alone and always enjoyed the conversation as well as the silence/reflection as we put in the miles. 
Completing the list at the newest Metro Park, Scioto Grove


  • Before heading to the Metro Parks, a stop at a coffee shop along the way made for following two trails – the park trail and the Columbus Coffee Trail. For those 21 and over, I would also recommend the Columbus Ale Trail.
Crimson Cup


  • What I thought would be similar to 2nd Street Market in Dayton; I eagerly visited the North Market. It turns out, it’s more of a house for International Restaurants than a farmer’s market. Oh well, it made for a great “North Market World Food Tour.”
Pho from Lan Viet Market


  • Driving the back roads one day, I almost crashed my car when I saw Alum Creek Lake – and sailboats! I was able to cross off one more thing on my Before December 2017 listy list by learning to sail with Alum Creek Sailing Association. One of the best ways I’ve spent decompressing from a trip was tubing and trying to wakeboard on the same lake.


  • Speaking of the Before December 2017 list, I was able to see many of my favorite artists and shows in the last two years in Columbus: Avett Brothers (2x), Johnnyswim (2x), Wicked, Ingrid Michaelson, The Lumineers, Stephen Kellog (2x), AJR Brothers (2x), Way Yes, and Old Crow Medicine Show.
The Lumineers


  • One of the gatherings I looked forward to most was with some amazing women for a monthly Chick Book Club. Reading the book was just the excuse to get together, drink wine, and soak in the awesome-ness of these women. My favorite book hands down was Trevor Noah’s Born a Crime. Gillian Flynn’s books still give me nightmares.


  • Another group of incredible people I met were the women of the Turkish American Society of Ohio. This group hosted a women's cooking class once a month. It was a great time of learning about a different culture around cooking and eating a meal. The women I met were great and the food was so unique and delicious!



  • A new experience that Columbus brought was conquering (except once) Escape Rooms. While this is not unique to Columbus, this is where the love for this adventure started. Looking forward to this team building in Cincinnati.
The one that we didn't escape from


  • The German Village Food and Walking Tour was a great adventure! Learning about the history and current context of the neighborhood along the way to 7 different restaurants. The food was ahhh-mazing and so was the company! 
Schmidt's famous cream puff

  • One of the best outlets I found was taking a break during the day and walking with a great friend. For a few months before the crazy summer schedule started, I looked forward to the time outside, unplugging from technology, being active, and spending quality time with one of my favorite people. If I wasn't with my friend, I found myself at Walnut Woods enjoying the pine trees. This is a practice that I plan to continue in Cincinnati.
Walnut Woods


  • Finally, if you are looking for the best restaurant in town – then you must visit Flavor 91 Bistro.  I can’t say enough great things about this place or the people that run it. It will be the best burger (or lamb burger) you will ever have paired with your choice of hand cut fries (regular or sweet potato). Make sure before your meal you enjoy a soup shot of creamy mushroom and chili with a kick made from scratch daily by Winnie. This place is the best kept secret in Columbus – when you visit make sure you tell Moses, Winnie, and Winta I said hello!
With co-owner, Moses



While I will soon be saying “goodbye” to Columbus, I look forward to visiting! However, I'm really excited for exploring Cincinnati! What are some of your favorite places in Columbus or Cincinnati?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building with adobe mud bricks in Ohio is not "a thing"

I’m soaking wet, standing in the middle of a field in Dayton, Ohio as rain is pouring down…and all I see around me is mud . It is in this moment that it finally hits me…“I’ve made a horrible mistake...” I am many things, but one descriptor phrase is: "I’m a pusher". Read on to learn how I came about this self-realization in ministry and how I found myself standing in a field of mud. Let’s rewind to the Spring of 2007, a man who can only be described as the jolliest person’ besides good ole St. Nick was digging a post hole in order to build a tree house. This isn’t your typical, back yard tree house, this was a tree house built for a community. The man’s name was David Helmers and he was the architect and designed this tree house. David Helmers is working hard digging his hole for this massive 20’ pole that would be one of 8 to hold up the tree house. This tree house is right in the heart of this community known as el dumpe in Tijuana, Mexico – the city dump. So

Lost in the Crowd

Have you ever felt lost in the crowd? For someone who loves concerts, there is always this heightened sense of anxiety for me being in a large group. I constantly catch myself looking around to make sure the people I came with are by my side, I avoid bumping into strangers, and I leave early so I'm not in this rush of people. I've found that being in large churches can feel the same way. Most of my experiences of church is from the lens of the large church context. Before I got connected with any ministry areas when I first started going to church, I found myself lost in this sea of people coming and going. I could easily slip in and out of service without people noticing and I could even miss worship and no one would think twice about it. Reflecting back, I realize that I treated church like a crowded concert that I loved going to, but rarely interacted with others and take advantage of any chance to leave early. It wasn't until I got connected to a small group

A Life Full of Care and Free From Worry

My brother and I are 15 months apart, practically Irish twins, and you couldn’t get more Irish with names like "Katie and Patrick" and my brother being born on St. Patrick’s Day. While we grew up in the same household and share the same parents, there are more ways that we are different than we are alike. While we share having curly hair, the same nose, and blue eyes - even standing next to each other people wouldn’t believe we were related let alone siblings. When it comes to disposition, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum as children. Being the older sibling, teachers having my brother the next year were often shocked to find out that we were related. Growing up we both shared a love of climbing any and all things but mostly trees! While we both started out fearless in conquering the scaling of branches and seeing how high we could get, our reaction to getting down was much different. Sure, it was all fun and games when we were climbing and looking out into t